Updated: April 2023
The last Fire Officer Exam (FOE) for the Bureau of Fire Protection concluded last December 2022. As of the date of the update of this page, there is no date for the 2023 FOE.
In this article, we will talk about everything you need to know about the Fire Officer Exam and the steps that you need to take if you want to take this exam.
What is the Fire Officer Exam?
The Fire Officer Exam (FOE) is a placement exam for Filipino citizens who want to work for the Bureau of Fire as Fire Officers or professional Firefighters. The exam is organized and managed by the Civil Service Commission (CSC).
How Many Items are in the FOE?
The FOE is composed of 150 questions, plus 10 items about the applicant’s personal information.
Exam Time Limit: 3 hours and 5 minutes. The Civil Service Commission holds are pre-examination briefing that takes at least 1 hour. It is recommended to arrive at the exam venue at least one hour before the start of the exam.
What is the Coverage of the FOE?
The Fire Officer Exam is composed of two parts: General Ability and Specialized Area
I. General Ability Exam (25% of test questions)
The General Ability part of the exam will test the following skills:
- Numerical skills
- Verbal skills
- Analytical skills
II. Specialized Area (75% of test questions)
Questions under the Specialized part of the exam focus on the firefighting and fire prevention topics. It covers the following topics:
1. Fire Suppression (30%)
- Pre-Fire Planning
- Firefighting Techniques and Procedures
- Tools and Equipment and Apparatus
2. Fire Safety and Prevention (20%)
- Fire Code of the Philippines
- Fire Safety Related Codes, NFPA Laws, and other BFP issuances (Building Code, Electrical Code)
- BFP Citizens Charter, SOP/MCs on Fire Safety Inspection
3. Fire Investigation (15%)
- The Law on Arson in the Philippines (RPC)
- Constitutional Rights of the Accused
- Prima Facie Evidence of Arson
- Rules of Court
- Procedure and Techniques
- Identification, Preservation, and Handling of Evidence
- Other Related Procedure and Techniques
- SOPs on Fire and Arson Investigation
4. Administrative Matters (10%)
- RA 6975 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations
- RA 9263 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations
- RA 9592 and its Implementing Rules and Regulations
- CSC Rules and Regulations and Qualification Standards
- BFP Memo Circulars and SOPs on Administrative Matters
FOE Passing Rate
You will need a general rating of 80% to pass the exam. If you get a passing rate, you will be eligible to apply for second-level positions in the Bureau of Fire in the Philippines.
When is the next Fire Officer Exam?
Next FOE Schedule 2023:
2023 Exam: To Be Announced
Date of Last Exam: October 22, 2022
Schedule of Application for the FOE
- Start of Application: August 18, 2022
- End of Application: September 1, 2022
What are the Fire Officer Exam Requirements and Application Steps?
How to Apply:
1. Make sure that you are eligible to take the exam
Who are Eligible to Apply for the FOE?
- 21-35 Years Old
- Filipino Citizen
- Mentally and Physically Fit
- Must not have been convicted by final judgment of an offense or crime involving turpitude or of disgraceful or immoral conduct, dishonesty, examination irregularity, drunkenness, or addiction to drugs.
- Must not have been dishonorably discharged from military service or dismissed for cause of any civilian positions in the government
- Must possess a Baccalaureate degree from a recognized institution (College Graduate)
2. Check the Location of the Application
The location of the filing of the application will be announced by the Regional Office of the Civil Service Commission. You may call your local CSC office before the start date of filing to check the location. You may also check their respective Facebook pages.
You may want to go to the location as early as possible on the start date of the application. The CSC limits the number of applications and they will end the filing if they have reached the maximum number of examiners.
3. Collect the Requirements for the Application
a. Fully accomplished Application Form (CS Form No. 100, Revised September 2016).
Important: Leave the fields “Signature of Applicant” and “Right Thumbmark” blank. These fields will be filled in the filing location in the presence of the CSC employee processing your application.
b. Four (4) pieces of identical I.D. pictures with the following specifications:
- Passport size (4.5 cm x 3.5 cm or 1.8 inches x 1.4 inches)
- Colored photo with white background and name tag
- Taken within three (3) months before the filing of the application
- Printed on good quality photo paper
- The photo must show from the shoulder level up to the head. The face should occupy at least 80% of the picture. The name tag is positioned at approximately 1 inch or 2.54 cm below the chin)
- Remove eyeglasses, contact lenses, or any accessories that may cover the facial features
- The facial features should not be computer enhanced
- The left and right ears should be visible
- The entire face must be visible with eyes looking directly at the camera
- With a neutral facial expression, and both eyes open
- The name tag must be handwritten, with the applicant’s signature over the printed full name. The name should be written in this order:
First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name, Extension(if any)
c. The original and 2 photocopies of any of the following I.D. cards:
- Driver’s License/Temporary Driver’s License with LTO Official Receipt /Student Driver’s Permit
- PRC License
- SSS ID
- GSIS ID (UMID)
- Voter’s ID/Voter’s Certification
- BIR/Taxpayer’s ID (ATM type/TIN card type with picture)
- PhilHealth ID
- Company/Office ID
- School ID
- Police Clearance/Police Clearance Certificate
- Postal ID
- Barangay ID
- NBI Clearance
- Seaman’s Book
- HDMF Transaction ID
- PWD ID
- Solo Parent ID
- Senior Citizen’s ID
- CSC Eligibility Card
4. Bring the Required Documents to the Filing Location (From Step 2)
Bring the required documents to the filing location during the filing period. The CSC will entertain applicants on a first-come-first-served basis. They may also end the application before the end date if the number of examinees has reached its limit.
Fire Officer Exam Fee Payment: 700 PHP
The fee is non-refundable.
After payment, you will be given instructions about the exam, together with your notice of admission to the exam.